Friday, July 17, 2009

Poor Pup

A 12 week old Chihuahua named Smokey was speared in the brain with a metal grilling fork. I can't believe he survived. Read the full story and view the incredible pictures here.

In a strange way, this reminds me of an incident I experienced with a young hamster I had. I went to pick him up and noticed something was really wrong. His eye was bulging out of its socket. It wouldn't have taken much for the eye to fall out and I didn't want that to happen. I rushed him to the nearest vet, who couldn't do anything for him. He said the eye could be removed and the hamster would live a normal life. What? I almost lost my breakfast. I didn't want him to be without an eye. Instead, I sped all the way to the animal hospital, a half hour away, praying the eye would stay put. There, the doctor preformed surgery. By the time I brought my hamster home, he was back to his normal critter self.

Have you ever had a close call with a pet?

5 comments:

  1. Never a close call, but I've lost too many. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as Janna and Karen, I've lost a few pets, the last one in August -- a Boston I'd had for 16 years. She once got hit by a car, flipped up in the air, but kept on truckin'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My father is a veterinarian. I've had more close calls with pets and friends' pets and strangers' pets than I can begin to tell. Since you told a story of a hamster, I'll tell you that my mom sent my hamster into hypothermia when she was premenopausal and had turned the A/C to like 60 degrees or something ridiculous. The hamster went into shock and I had to rush it to my dad's clinic. His partner was there and gave it mouth-to-mouth with a straw. We'll stop the story there, because I only like to tell happy endings.

    I did get a new hamster later the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my dog found and ate several bags of hershey kisses - foil and plastic and all. we rushed him to vet. they pumped his stomach and filled a bucket. but he's still alive - almost 15 :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your pets. *hugs*

    Lynnette Labelle

    ReplyDelete