Wednesday, September 23, 2009

To Read or Not to Read

Yesterday, I went through my gym bag and discovered a book I’d started reading many moons ago. Glancing inside, I found a bookmark at about the halfway point. Hum. I’m a little surprised I’d read that much considering I’d never gotten into the novel.

I used to have this strange loyalty to authors, where I’d read the entire book no matter how long it took me or how boring it was. Not anymore. My time is too precious for that. In fact, I think the only reason I read as far as I did on this particular book is because the author’s a best seller. I’m guessing this isn’t the book that earned him such a title.

What about you? How long do you read a book before giving it a permanent home on the shelf?

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should ask, I just chucked two this week for the same reason. I forgot where I had left the story, nothing was going on to hold me and it was tired of waiting. That being said, I had to read The Thorn Birds three times before I could get into it and I love Colleen McCullough.
    But I do read at least the first chapter. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I can only get through the first chapter or two, then it goes on my shelf. I hate when I actually bought the book and that happens! Feels like a waste of money and space!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably get at least one-third of the way in before giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found books with bookmarks in them, too. They didn't snare me, and I wandered off and forgot them. Some books I just let go when I realize that but a few I have soldiered on because I was trying to see why other people had raved about it or, at least, learn from the author's mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I usually give it between thirty or fifty pages, unless someone tells me before hand to give it more. I read a book last year that it took me over a 100 pages before I really understood what the book was about. Once I did, I really liked it. But, again, someone I trusted had told me to give it a chance. There are too many books out there that I know I'll love to give it much more than thirty or fifty pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to be just like you. And like you, I'm now less patient with writers. But my answer is: It depends on the things that are problems for me as to how long I last. I do try to give it 2-3 chapters, but sometimes it's all I can do to last 2-3 pages. Often there's a redeeming quality that allows me to better ignore the things that bug me. If not, the book goes to the used book store or library resale shop.

    ReplyDelete