Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Those Single Days

Being single. Yes, I remember those days. Remember them well. Didn’t like them one bit. Well, except for the part about me being independent and not having to answer to anyone, but that’s another story.

Yesterday, I ran across an article called: “19 Things You Should Never Say to a Single Person” by Erin Meanley. Here’s the link. Oh. My. God. Did I ever relive my not-so-good single days reading this piece. Sheesh. It really is unbelievable the things people say without thinking.

Here are some of my favorites (and yes, people have said them to me):

-So, why are you single? Translation: What the heck’s wrong with you?

-You’re too picky. Would you rather me settle and be divorced in a year?

-You’ll find the right person for you. Yeah? When? And how many duds do I have to date before I find him?

-Wow! I wish I were single and in your shoes! Yeah, because being alone every night is fun.


What have you heard along those lines? Use any yourself?

6 comments:

  1. What's bad is when they stop questioning/commenting and just accept that you're probably unloveable :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh... You know, I've spent much of my short life thus far as a single young woman, and usually I quite enjoy it, but it was awful right after my boyfriend of 1 and 1/2 years and I called it quits. The concerned glances, the questions of "Why didn't it work out?", the "I thought you guys were totally going to make it" comments...

    Obviously not, you big jerk. It just rubbed salt into an already painful wound, and I have never hated being single as much as I did then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure....sometimes people act like being single means there's something wrong with you personally, like a trend that just CAN'T be passed up has been passed up....okay, scratch that, people do that all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. People actually said those things to you? That's terrible! (Course, I never had the opportunity for that to happen to me I guess, considering I was married at eighteen. But STILL.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coffeelvnmom: Yep, they sure did. "You're too picky." is the one I heard the most often. You bet I was picky. I knew what I wanted and didn't settle until I found him. And I did. So, waiting is totally worth it.

    Lynnette Labelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. So why are you single? That's the one I heard after my divorce. It came from people that hadn't known me, so they didn't know that I'd just went through a divorce. They only saw a bare finger. I've never even thought of asking anyone this question. Make you wonder what other thoughts the people have on life.

    ReplyDelete