Monday, May 11, 2009

The End of the Beginnings Series

Thanks to everyone who commented on the two possible beginnings for my light romantic suspense novel. If you haven’t already, please let me know which option you preferred and why. Since many of you have already left comments in this regard, I’ve been able to get a good feel for what is and isn’t working.

This weekend, I took the time to browse the romance aisle in a new Indigo branch. I discovered romantic suspense novels start in two basic ways: action packed or character based. If the book is high in suspense and/or a dark romantic suspense (see previous post for definition), it usually starts with a prologue. This is often written in the victim’s or killer’s POV. If there isn’t a prologue, the story begins with the POV of the MC who’s a cop, sheriff, FBI agent, or some sort of legal authority. This person has just discovered the crime scene or is going over the details with other law enforcement officers.

According to my recent findings, light romantic suspense novels all start slowly in the hero or heroine’s “normal” life. This means, option #1 would make more sense in my novel. However, I think I’m going to cut the first paragraph because I have yet to see another light r/s that begins with introspection rather than narration.

Any comments or questions before we move on to something else tomorrow?

9 comments:

  1. This might sound stupid, but can you give me a great one-line description of what "Romantic Suspense" usually entails? Does it always involve a murder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lady Glamis: Yeah, usually it's a murder, but it can be a stalker who doesn't actually get around to killing. It can be a rapist, too. Basically, violence or attempted violence toward women. I suppose, you could twist it the other way and have the guy's life in danger and the woman save him, but that's not usually the case. However, that doesn't mean the hero has to save the heroine. He can, and often does, but there are more and more heroines who save themselves or work as a team to stay safe. Sorry, not exactly a one liner. LOL

    Lynnette Labelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynette, this staying so close to the form is like cooking with a recipe. Don't you feel like busting out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you writing for a category romance line? If you are, then you need to know that rules to play by. In that case researching what is accepted is a great way to narrow down what you're aiming for!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All good here. This has been a really interesting process to watch. I've learned a lot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lakeviewer: I don't mind following what works. Maybe I'll take more risks once I have a large following. For now, I'll play it safe and write what I read.

    Jody: I'm writing a single title for the New York big wigs. That's what I read. The only exception is Mira, which is part of the big H.

    Danyelle: Nice spelling, unique. I'm glad you enjoyed the ride. I learned quite a bit myself.

    Lynnette Labelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. My VERY personal opinion is to start off with action. Or humor.

    Anything else and I'm usually groaning.

    With suspense, I could see starting off with something... uh... suspenseful, though. *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Lynnette,
    I read #2 first but I like #1 better. :-) It sets us in the scene more, I think. :-) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lynnette, I struggle with finding the right spot to start a book. My first three chapters used to be the worst part of the book--and there the only pages an editor or agent will see!

    My current book and the one I just finished (and will be editing soon) feel right to me. It took me five books to figure it out! (Until a few months from now when I'll convince myself it's all wrong.) Ah well...better late than never!

    Good luck! And thanks for generously sharing your work with us.

    ReplyDelete