I came across an article on MSN today titled Five Signs He’s About to Propose by Christie Griffin. Could one of my characters use this advice? I had to read to find out.
1. He’s extra helpful. Couldn’t this also mean he has a guilt complex because he’s done something wrong? Just thinking…
2. He talks himself up. Maybe he’s really vain. Or maybe he’s so insecure he feels like he needs to convince people (including himself) how great he is. There’s also the possibility that he thinks you’re not so into him and he needs to convince you he’s worth the effort.
3. He acts like you just started dating. See reasoning for #2 and apply it here.
4. He quizzes you. Maybe he’s writing your biography. Or maybe he’s planning on setting you up with a friend of his.
5. He’s really concerned about the details. Maybe he’s finally showing his true obsessive side. Maybe he’s on a new drug.
Okay, so the article wasn’t all that helpful because those signs can mean more than “he’s about to propose”. However, if my hero should decide to pop the question to my heroine, I might go back to this list and make sure he follows “the rules”.
What would make you think he was about to propose? How would you like the hero to act if he should happen to consider “The Big Step”?